You might know me personally, we might friends of friends, but if you stumbled upon my blog – who might be wondering, who am I?
My name is Salma, your travel guru! I’ve spent the last 6 years studying, working, and traveling. The most common question I hear is, “Where are you going to next?”.
But what I also like to share when I meet others is that I’m born and raised in Mexico, San Antonio is home, I’m an UTSA graduate, and I’m Texas proud!
Being a traveling Hispanic and Spanish speaker has opened the doors for me even more. I can communicate with twice the number of people, I have the choice between traveling with a US or Mexican passport, and I have a sense of Latina pride when I share with others my story. I hope that my story inspires other young women out there to study, work hard and chase their dreams too!
I live and breathe by this quote: “Believe you can, and you’re halfway there!”
Throughout my travels, I’ve come to educate quite a few people on our Texan culture. I’ve made breakfast tacos for my host families. I wear my San Antonio spurs shirt when I’m in a different country. I’ve proudly played tour guide in San Antonio and Austin when my friends visit.
I’ve learned to treat my own city the way I would any other new city I’m visiting. When I’m home, I always plan events with my friends, stay up to date with the newest places, and enjoy my time when I’m in San Antonio!
Before I write other blog posts on adventures through the world – I’m taking the time to share with you my travel guru recommendations for San Antonio, the city I call home. I’m doing this to show you the kind of things I do when I travel, to show you how to explore locally, and to show you that I’m here for you if you need help planning your next trip elsewhere!
After all, I do this for you! My purpose is to inspire YOU to travel and explore 🙂 This is San Antonio undiscovered from your travel guru! Click on links below for additional information on each activity.
20 Things To Do in San Antonio From A Local
- Get a day pass for a B-cycle bike share & ride the Mission Reach Trail.
- Colorful walk, artisan shopping & cold margaritas at The Historic Market Square.
- Visit San Fernando’s Cathedral at night for The Saga light show. Visit website for select times.
- Kick off the month at Bluestar with First Friday Art Market.
- Celebrate the night with themed First Friday pub run with stops through downtown bars & clubs.
- Rent a Lime electric scooter through Southtown and King William District – Promo Code: RKNMS3V
- Rent a boat with your family on Lake Travis with Just For Fun rentals!
- Short drive away for wine tasting up 281N at Lara Vineyard. Select public times and by reservation only.
- Grab your friends and reserve a beer bike party from The Local Crawler – BYOB – Please drink responsibly.
- Fitness at the Park – See schedule for various times and locations. No excuses!
- Learn about San Antonio history in a Go Rio river cruise downtown. Dinner options available.
- Free Parking with Downtown Tuesdays to dine at SA riverwalk restaurants & bars.
- Save $ and go up the Tower of Americas for the experience: Grab a desert or cocktail with a view at Bar 601. Happy Hour prices also available M-F.
- Italian villa getaway for Italian, Japanese, or steakhouse dinner at Eilan across from the Rim. A few shops & bars in the villa.
- Explore the SA Zoo at night – Zoo Lights during Christmastime and Jungle Boogie Nights in the summer.
- Two Step the night away at Floore’s Country Store or Lonesome Rose for tony tonk on St. Mary’s Strip
- Cool off from the heat and float the Comal river or Guadalupe river tubes. Warm seasons only.
- Day trip to Fredericksburg for vineyard hopping through the 290 Wine Road.
- Day trip to Boerne Lake for kayaking and paddle boards and a fun day in the sun.
- Day trip to Gruene Historic District for a city getaway to a quaint town.
Let me know if you go on any of these adventures for the first time! Do you have other SA local favorites to share with us?
Signed after landing in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic!
Salma Travel Guru
Do you want to explore outside of San Antonio?
Contact me to save you money & plan your next trip!